Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:42:44 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dcs@newsguy.com (Daniel C. Sobral)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jar@integratus.com (Jack Rusher), sam@errno.com (Sam Leffler), zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu (Zhiui Zhang), freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Design a journalled file system

> > > I'm not sure that is true. You can always load a kld from loader(8).
> >
> > Not from an XFS root filesystem, you can't.
>
> It is so very fortunate, then, that neither loader nor the kld need be
> in the root filesystem, eh? :-)

Great, the most important part of my system has to be on some
other FS type because otherwise I can't boot.

I would prefer to have my boot loader, kernel, and modules live
on the safest FS available to me.  If that's not XFS, why use
it?  If it is XFS, then why use something else, except for the
license making me?

Resizing the boot partition to add more modules and/or kernel
generations at a later date would be right out, after laying
everything out.

I'm not saying that that arrangement can't be made to work from
an installation perspective, just that it's a ridiculous number
of hoops to force someone through on the pretense of a free
license.

I don't see the people leaping forward to volunteer their effort
under those terms.  I've stated my terms.  I've made suggestions
on how they can protect what they want to protect, and pointed
out that they don't have that level of protection now.

I also see the GFS people bending over backward to accomodate us,
and don't see significant benefit to XFS compared to GFS, and
particularly with regard to the XFS code for Linux being incapable
of storage area clustering, due to some code that SGI only has on
their boxes.

I've already thrown 20k of patches at the GFS people as a show of
good faith; if they follow through, I fully expect that a port can
happen very quickly.  I might even do a Windows port, just to be
annoying, since I fully understand the IFSMgr code, and have the
necessary tools and SDK to do the work.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---