Date:      Sat, 19 Jul 1997 21:50:45 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), sef@Kithrup.COM, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I am contemplating the following change...

>Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
>>
>> The ed1 entry is also the cause of much tech support for me since
>> it "catches" cards at 0x300 but invariably with the wrong IRQ, so the
>> user is tricked into thinking that things work until the install
>> is well underway and the only message they're now seeing is:
>> "ed1: device timeout" from the bogus IRQ value.
>
>I'm playing with some code at the moment which improves on the basic
>'ed' probe insofar as it tries to talk to parts that are known to be
>soft-settable, or to have read their config from an eeprom, and then
>tries to generate an interrupt to suck-it-and-see.  I don't know
>how successful this is going to be.

   The main problem I encountered when considering this myself was that while
you could read the EEPROM soft settings and use them, the soft settings may
not actually be the current settings in use. Most of the cards have jumpers
that select specific hard settings or the soft settings and I could not find
any documentation on how to read how the jumpers were set.

-DG

David Greenman