Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 2003 12:46:07 -0800
From:      John Martinez <rolnif@mac.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Speaking of backups...

I have several machines of different OS types at home. Call me an OS
nut.

A FreeBSD box. An OpenBSD box. A Sun Ultra 30 running Solaris. A
dual-boot WindowsXP/Linux box. A Solaris x86 box. And my main machine
is a G4 Mac running Mac OS X.

My OS X box has the majority of my important files. I currently backup
by copying files from the other machines onto OS X and burning a DVD on
the SuperDrive. I only do this from time to time since DVD-R's are
still somewhat expensive. I'm contemplating buying SCSI tape drive (DLT
of some sort on eBay) and attaching it to either the SPARC or FreeBSD
box. I'd rather do tape backups because I can recycle tapes.

I would like to use Amanda, and I'm sure it would work fine between the
*BSD, Solaris and Linux machines. How do I address Mac OS X and maybe
even Windows? I don't think Amanda has an OS X client and much less, I
don't know how it would handle forked files.

thanks,
-john