Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 14:22:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports and Packages Mixture

I asked this question before: why not incorporate [something like] apt
from Debian?

The only answer I got the last time that pkg_add is superior no matter
what. Why does one need to delete both and then to re-install one of
them? Most of you are administrators, wouldn't it save you some
valuable time? Is it a "not made here" thing? This would be a killer:

                  apt-get dist-upgrade

has no analogy in any other Unix, even in the cleanest of them all -
OpenBSD ;-))
please, enlighten in case I missed some fundamental Constitutional
issue  here. don't try "license" song, I said [something like] apt.
last time Debian people raised the issue of possible incorporation
FreeBSD kernel the excuse was the license "conflict", yet the
underlying was the fear of losing control by some "authorities" among