Date:      Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:47:43 -0700
From:      Glenn Dawson <glenn@antimatter.net>
To:        "Joe Wood" <dot.sn1tch@gmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: mail not being delivered

At 02:35 PM 8/21/2005, Joe Wood wrote:
>The message has since been deleted and I cannot give an exact message, but
>it says the message has been queued for X days and will be deleted. The
>messages then goes on to show the email that was waiting to be delivered and
>it is what appears to be the security logs, and among the others are various
>cron jobs that failed delivery as well.

That's all typical for that type of message.  Before the copy of the
message that was undeliverable there should be a line indicating what
the problem was.

>  I am not sure if this would affect
>it but about a week ago (the same time this started) we were doing some
>reconfigurations on the network and the 3600 series router this machine was
>on. There was about 2 hours of down time and my mailbox was flooded with
>cron jobs not working (which I expected since they are internet related
>jobs) after that all email just stopped.

Depending on what those reconfigurations were, they may or may not be
related.  This is just a guess, but make sure that the machine in
question can resolve names properly.

-Glenn