Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 1999 18:10:14 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        green@FreeBSD.ORG (Brian F. Feldman), aa8vb@ipass.net, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: K6 Write Combining & FreeBSD

Wilko Bulte wrote:
> As Brian F. Feldman wrote ...
> > On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Randall Hopper wrote:
> >
> > > Mike Smith:
> > >  |> Also, I wonder if you've seen/heard of an MTRR patch for 3.2-RELEASE
> > >  |You could try to backport the two sets of commits I just made to the
> > >  |-stable branch, but you might be better off moving to -stable or to
> > >  |3.3-RELEASE.
> > >
> > > Ok, I might try that.  From Brian's message, it sounds like he's made som
> > > commits for MTRR.  Would I need those as well (or are your commits the wo
    rk
> > > he spoke of).
> >
> > It may be worth specifying that k6_mem.c should be disabled in RELENG_3 pen
    ding
> > further investigation of problems with the MTRR interfeace (i.e. that it ca
> > corrupt other memory...) For now, it's unsafe.
>
> Maybe I'm missing the point here, but as a AMD user I'm interested anyway:
> 'should be disabled', does that mean one has to 'hand hack' to disable it?
> Stable being -stable I'd have guessed it should be disabled by default
> if it is not 100% working like it should.

Uncomment the files.i386 line that adds k6_mem.c back to the build and it
will be reactivated.  The problem is that it's been implicated as causing
severe kernel (malloc and zone allocator) corruption when it's actually
used, eg: when firing up XFree86 3.9.16.  The code is quite harmless when
it's dormant though :-), but whem XFree86 4.0 gets released, it will cause
RELENG_3 machines to die all over the place, which we don't need.

Cheers,
-Peter