Date:      17 Mar 1998 23:22:40 -0500
From:      Kevin Street <street@iName.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Emacs in FreeBSD Environment

Dave Marquardt <marquard@zilker.net> writes:

> "David Lee" <David.Lee.ddlee@nt.com> writes:
> > I am running FreeBSD 2.2.5 on a Pentium 75 with 16 Mb of RAM.  My question
> > is about the Emacs editor.  When I run Emacs, my <ALT> key does not work as
> > my <META> key.  Instead, I am forced to use my <ESC> key.  I prefer using
> > the <ALT>.  When I use Emacs under Linux on the same machine, I can use the
> > <ALT> without problems.
> >
> Are you running X?  I noticed that if you select the X keyboard
> extension (or something like that) when configuring XFree86, the ALT
> key doesn't work as a Meta key.  If you don't select the X keyboard
> stuff, ALT becomes Meta.  Sorry to be so vague, but it's a clue.

I think in X (at least in XFree86 3.3.2) if you're using the:
    XkbKeymap   "xfree86(us)"
in your XF86Config, then the keyboard is set up with Meta on the
Windows keys (but I don't have no steenking Windows keys...).

I put the following in ~/.Xmodmap:
    clear mod4
    keysym Alt_L = Meta_L Alt_L
    keysym Alt_R = Meta_R Alt_R

and made sure that there was a
    xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap
in my ~/.xsession (or called somewhere in the startup of X) and things
worked correctly again.
--
Kevin Street
street@iName.com