Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 1995 17:33:27 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, karl@mcs.com, current@freebsd.org, peter@haywire.DIALix.COM, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUP target for -STABLE, and setup for SUP info?

> I'm happy to pay for *actual* support which I receive, but my feel on this
> is that I am not going to pay for a staffer full-time if the work that he or
> she produces goes back to *everyone*.

Sorry if I suggested that you'd be expected to pay for a full-time
staffer.  Such a staffer would not only be too expensive for a single
company to support ($40K/yr for a support contract would be a little
excessive, to say the least :-) but it also wouldn't make much sense.
You don't NEED somebody on the job for MCSNet full-time, you need
someone available for bursts of activity when problems are encountered
and then, most likely, you don't need anyone at all for awhile.

So it's not very useful to debate whether or not the work of said
staffer would be "owned" by a single firm - I'm not talking about that
kind of money or that kind of easy accountability for the individual
(or, more likely, individuals) in question.  It's more likely that the
support team will be working multiple problems at once and the fixes
they generate may cover multiple overlapping areas of concern for more
companies than just your own.

> That is, I won't pay for everyone *else*'s fix.  But I will pay a reasonable
> support charge *if and only if* I get actual fixes to problems like this in
> a contemporary fashion.

Of course.  Such a support contract will only work for you and any
other companies participating if fixes are made promptly and
competently.  When the support team isn't working on problems, I'd
expect it to also work on generally improving the system and enhancing
it in ways that EVERYONE, and that includes yourself, can benefit
from.  Otherwise, I don't see much point in establishing such an
organization.  We're a free software effort and any and all such
organizations should be set up with our own unique model somewhere in
mind.  I don't think that this precludes being accountable or prompt
with the commercial partners in any way, especially as there will be a
significant motivation on the part of those working on this to make
the whole concept work.

Most software companies have multiple programmers working for little
more than a paycheck which, as any programmer knows, isn't always the
most motivating of factors.  Being able to work for both a paycheck
and some "higher goal" (e.g. the results of your work being touted far
and wide for a demonstrably "good cause") would represent the best of
all possible worlds for many, and if I can put such an organization
together then I think that it would not only work, but also work
rather well.

> power to them.  However, my willingness to pay is directly correlated to the
> quality of the fixes and the timeliness of what we receive.

Natch.  I understand this fully.

> If I'm going to pay big bucks, then I want the fixes (and the rest of that
> person's time) to myself.  If its much more reasonable, then so am I.

I think that asking you to pay big bucks would actually be
counter-productive to us both.  It would raise your expectations
unreasonably and also put those in the project in something of a bind
as they felt somewhat co-opted by the deal.  I think "much more
reasonable" is exactly that.  Just out of curiousity (and I'll direct
this question to any and all listening here, not just Karl), what
would you consider "reasonable" and what kind of response time would
you expect for it?

If I can get some reasonable estimates for the size of the potential
customer base and the amount of incoming capital they'd represent,
then I think that it's entirely possible that I could turn this from
idle conjecture into reality.  The Internet has also made it possible
to "hire" people to work at home, and as long as their work meets some
reasonable standard for response time and quality then I also think
that I could put such an organization together with far less overhead
than a traditional one with offices, 401K plans, etc.  The resultant
savings could then be passed back to the customer and/or used to
finance longer-term goals for the project.

Thoughts?  Figures?  I think this would be a very significant step
forward for FreeBSD, but it's also something that I can't without at
least a little help.

					Jordan