Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:15:44 -0700
From:      Matt Olander <matt@ixsystems.com>
To:        sunnzy+gnu@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD user statistics

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 8:55 pm, Sunnz wrote:
> Ahh, I see... so there are currently no way to see all time?

Well, we've only had Google Analytics on PC-BSD.org for less than 1 month. =
I'm=20
sure there's some kind of API or other mechanism to dump the report to the=
=20
web, I just haven't looked to hard at it, yet ;-)

> Stil very surprising though, when it comes to technology Australia
> just never make it to the top in any statistics, people are always
> like "WTF?" when I talk about BSD, till the minute I go and say it is
> like Linux. Maybe it is just me though...

Haha, keep letting them know about it!

=2Dmatt

> 2007/8/1, Matt Olander <matt@ixsystems.com>:
> > On Tuesday 31 July 2007 5:21 pm, Chad Perrin wrote:
> > > Are there any projects out there collecting data on numbers of FreeBSD
> > > users?  I'm interested in pretty much anything along those lines,
> > > including analogs to Fedora's "smolt" reporting software, the Linux
> > > Counter <http://counter.li.org/>, and so on.
> > >
> > > If not . . . is there any sense that such a project would be useful to
> > > the community?  I might consider getting at least a web-based
> > > self-reporting thing like the Linux Counter project set up, if that
> > > seems like something the community would want/need and doesn't already
> > > exist.
> > >
> > > What I'm really looking for, though, is any existing efforts to count
> > > FreeBSD users, even if such efforts are prone to error.
> >
> > Hi Chad,
> >
> > Checkout www.bsdstats.org. A very cool project to start tracking BSD
> > usage. Also, we've placed Google Analytics on www.pcbsd.org (and we
> > should probably add it to freebsd.org, too) and have interesting
> > operating system stats from there that we'll make public after a
> > substantial amount of data is gathered.
> >
> > best,
> > -matt

=2D-=20
Matt Olander
CTO, iXsystems - "Servers for Open Source" =C2=A0http://www.iXsystems.com
Public Relations, The FreeBSD Project =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 http://ww=
w.FreeBSD.org
BSD on the Desktop! =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0=
 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 http://www.pcbsd.org
Phone: (408)943-4100 ext. 113 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=
=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Fax: (408)943-4101