Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:14:27 +0200
From:      Hendrik Hasenbein <hhasenbe@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
To:        Verghese George <vgeorge@groupwise.swin.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Formatting  a floppy

Verghese George wrote:
> Did anybody find a bug in FreeBSD 5.1 when formatting a floppy? It
> always gives an error even when formatting a new floppy, When I used
> version 4.8, the formatting works fine with the same machine and
> hardware. I also find  the number of drives in Free BSD 5.1 much less
> than in version 4.8. Many of the device drivers in /dev corresponding to
> fd0 are not available. I have decided to go back to version 4.8
>
> Any similiar experiences?

What kind of filesystem did you try to put on the floppy?

The entries in /dev represent the actual situation on the floppy in
FreeBSD 5. You see less device nodes in /dev on an empty floppy than on
a formatted one. If you write a disklabel to the floppy new entries
should appear in /dev. /dev is now a dynamic device filesystem.

Hendrik