Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 2010 05:16:58 -0800
From:      Randall Stewart <rrs@lakerest.net>
To:        "C. Jayachandran" <c.jayachandran@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fix for buildworld hang on XLR

JC:
Ok I got the buildworld running...

It is getting further.. hopefully if it will crash for me I can
have a look and see if I can recognize whats going wrong with
the above 512M issues... I am sure thats what it is ;-)

Probably another left over from that hack I did way back to
get pages over 512Meg used ;-)

If I get to the pentry crash I will commit your change

On Feb 9, 2010, at 11:58 PM, C. Jayachandran wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Neel Natu <neelnatu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 11:43 PM, C. Jayachandran
>> <c.jayachandran@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Randall,
>>>
>>> Looks like the buildworld hang was caused by a bug in the GMAC
>>> driver.
>>> In some cases an additional zero length descriptor was getting added
>>> to the descriptor list which makes the GMAC go into underrun
>>> condition.  Can you see if this fix works for you?
>>>
>>> The patch is at http://sites.google.com/site/cjayachandran/files/rge.c.diff
>>>
>>> I still get a crash in pmap_enter during buildworld after quite a
>>> long
>>> time. It seems that de-referencing the pte in some cases crashes.
>>> I'm
>>> looking at it.
>>>

>> How much memory do you have installed on your system? Is any of that
>> memory mapped above 512MB (physical)?
>
> It is a 4GB memory system, and there is memory over 512MB.  I'm sill
> new to this pmap subsystem, so will need some to understand this.
>
> JC.

Randall Stewart
803-317-4952 (cell)
803-345-0391(direct)