Date:      Sat, 06 Oct 2001 19:22:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Use of the UNIX Trademark

[ This is WAY OT for -questions.  My apologies.  I usually refrain. :-) ]

> But TOG seems to own this word and we have to accept that.
> Nowadays we have to use words like "open-source", "free"
> or "non-commercial" to describe the different paradigm
> [or ask Fidel Castro if we can have "communist" :-)  ]
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^

<half-serious>
Would you define Scientific Thought as "communist"?
</half-serious>

<exercise for the reader>
Try and imagine how far the world could have gone if such rules as those for
trademarks had applied to scientific research.  In particular, suppose each
and every researcher had had to pay $MONEY in order to be allowed to utilize
eg Galileo's ideas, Newton's laws, Maxwell's equations[*], etc.

Hint: think of Afghanistan...

-- Salvo

[*] Given the, er, boundary conditions, I am not quite sure whether those
would have been written by now.