Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2005 02:59:57 +0100
From:      Emanuel Strobl <emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Joachim Dagerot <jd@dagerot.com>
Subject:   Re: Headless system or serial console

--nextPart1404590.xyhWvSu0Sh

Am Donnerstag, 17. Februar 2005 23:57 schrieb Joachim Dagerot:
> The handbook describes a way to install freeBSD to a headless system.
> (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-advanc=
ed
>.html)
>
> I'm used to drag'n'drop(!) my 45kg 21" spare monitor in and out from the
> closet to do single-user tasks. But now I want to go the serial port way.
>

> 1. Is there a way to get a serial console after the installation is done?
> How? (Link?)=20

Just add the line "console=3Dcomconsole" in /boot/loader.conf and you have =
your=20
1st sio as console with 9600boud.
If you need loader interactivity, instead create the file /boot.config with=
=20
the two characters "-h" in the first line, then you don't need to set the=20
console in loader.conf.
If you want to have a different console speed see the sysctl=20
"machdep.conspeed". You can set that via sysctl.conf.
But if you also want a different port or serial control before login see th=
e=20
following options in /etc/make.conf:
BOOT_COMCONSOLE_PORT=3D   0x2F8 # Use sio1 (com2)
BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED=3D  115200

You have to rebuild your kernel and the loader. For the latter go=20
to /usr/src/sys/boot/i386 and 'make clean' 'make depend' 'make install'

If you want to login in multiuser mode edit /etc/ttys and make sure you hav=
e a=20
line like that:
ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" cons25  on secure

> 2. Can I connect a palm to use as a console on the headless=20
> freeBSD system? How? (Link?)

No idea, sorry

Best regards,

=2DHarry