Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:36:01 +0100
From:      Aleksander Rozman - Andy <andy@kksonline.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: VMWare guest (Win2000) network trouble

At 21.1.2002, Aaron Spilman wrote:
>You said that you used the "same settings in Windows 2000".
>Did you give both machines the same ip address?
>
>Even though your vm system shares the same nic as the host they should
>each have their own address.

Hi !
It depends what kind of network sollution you use. You can use same
address  by using VNet NAT, or you can use Host only option (to make your
box available inside your private network, or you can use normal way, by
allowing FreeBSD to set it's own address. Version 3 supports all this
options, and I know that Version 2.04 also supports some of them.
HostOnlyAddress is not right configuration....if you have vmare running on
windows, this option will make your vmware available only to your windows
box, not to other machines. You must use Bridged network if you have any IP
spare on your network, if you have DHCP, let vmware handle it, if you dont
have any IP to spare use NAT, but your vmware OS won't be available from
outside.

Andy

>--Aaron

*  Aleksander Rozman - Andy  * Fandoms:  E2:EA, SAABer, Trekkie, Earthie *
*     andy@kksonline.com     * Sentinel, BH 90210, True's Trooper,       *
*    andy@atechnet.dhs.org   * Heller's Angel, Questie, Legacy, PO5,     *
* Maribor, Slovenia (Europe) * Profiler, Buffy (Slayerete), Pretender    *
*     PGP key available      *    http://www.atechnet.dhs.org/~andy/     *