Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:17:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggestion: distfiles CD

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, John Reynolds~ wrote:

> [ On Thursday, September 2, mwlucas@exceptionet.com wrote: ]
> >
> > But for the last month, my distfiles CD has been completely useless.
> > Every distfile I've wanted, I've had to download.  If the mid-September
> > date for the release of 3.3 is accurate, that means I have at least
> > another month, probobly six weeks, until I get an updated CD.
>
> I concur. Same thing has happened to me repeatedly.
>
> > If FreeBSD is coming out only every four months, might people be
> > interested in a "distfiles/packages" CD set on the alternate four months?
> > The work would be minimal, compared to a regular snapshot.  I, at least,
> > would pay for it. Hell, I'd subscribe.
>
> Sounds like a good idea in concept. As long as the cost wasn't too high for a
> monthly deal (say $7.99 or something--I'm assuming 1 disc here with the most
> "popular" port distfiles) I'd subscribe; if nothing else to continue to support
> the development of FreeBSD with more dough (which is the only reason I still
> subscribe to the CD release set at this point).
>
> > Of course, I'm sure everyone else has a real Internet connection, and
> > doesn't have to worry about this.
>
> Not me ... :)

another solution, or part of this solution, might be to offer a CD image
that could be downloaded and burnt. Given some of the more active user
groups in some areas this might be a great way to get CDs out to folks. It
could cost as little as $1.00 for CDs in that fashion. I don't know if
there are things in/on the distfiles CD(s) have copyright restrictions.

Colin E. Johnson | colinj@unm.edu | http://www.unm.edu/~colinj/
Harming only the humorless since 1967