Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:58:32 +0100
From:      db <db@traceroute.dk>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.2.1 make installword trashed my system

Hi all

I've been running 5.2 on my laptop (i386 Acer)
for some time now. Few hours ago I download the 5.2.1-release source,
buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, but after a few minuts of
installworld my system froze. Now when I try to boot I get:

Mounting root from ufs: /dev/ad0s1a
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
exec /sbin/init: error 8
/sbin/sysctl: 1: Syntax error: ";" unexpected
/sbin/sysctl: 1: Syntax error: ";" unexpected

Thu Feb 26 16:24:26 CET 2004
Feb 26 16:24:26 init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port
/dev/ttyv0: No such file or directory
....and so on

So the question is: Now what? I can boot in single user mode and get a
shell, but very few programs work and I can't mount anything?

br
db