Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 2015 13:39:33 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to use u-boot-beaglebone port?

On Sun, 2015-03-15 at 19:57 -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> > On Mar 12, 2015, at 5:59 PM, Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone successfully used the sysutils/u-boot-beaglebone port?
> >
> > I managed to build [1] and install it today.  I tried to install it to the SD card FAT partition, as per the README, and the result was an unbootable system.
> >
> > When I copied the u-boot.img file as u-boot.img (rather than the bb-uboot.img as suggested in the README), I got it to start up to the "U-Boot#" prompt.
>

> Apparently, no one ever patched the port to use bb-uboot.img and bb-ubldr
> as the name.
>
> I did this in Crochet when I was experimenting with having multiple
> U-Boots on a single SD card image.  That experiment was to try
> to see what would be required to build single images that booted on
> multiple different devices.

When I created the u-boot-beaglebone port I specifically removed that
bb- prefix stuff, because there will never be a unified image that runs
on both rpi and beaglebone [*].  I had hoped someone would update
crochet to use the new ports and this is one of the minor changes that
would be needed on the crochet side.

-- Ian

[*] Because armv6 != armv7 in this case.  While armv6 is synonymous with
armv7 for most purposes in freebsd, the rpi is the exception to that in
that it really IS armv6, and that leads to the kernel being built with
different cache maintenance routines that don't work on armv7.