Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 2008 01:40:53 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, jkim@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        koitsu@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no cable, but "DMA limited to UDMA33, controller found non-ATA66 cable"

> > > hw.ata.ata_dma_check_80pin="0"
>
> Unfortunately this useful tunable is unavailable for 6.x.

Ahh, but this is 7.1-BETA2 on amd64 - it should be available there, yes ?
The manual page says it should work, and I have found the point in
the source code where it is supposed to interpret it. There are, however,
many places which produce the above message, some of them appearing to
not check this flag after a quick peruse of the code.

I would have assumed it was one of these, but if I change it from
being plugged directly into the socket to being on the end of an 80pin
cable then the message goes away. The adapters I am using for the CF
card to the cable are simple passive sockets, and its the same card
plugged into the same ATA channel each time.

-pete.