Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2014 19:36:30 -0700
From:      Rui Paulo <rpaulo@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@freebsd.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-current Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, Andreas Nilsson <andrnils@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: HOWTO articles for migrating from Linux to FreeBSD, especially for pkg?

On Jul 17, 2014, at 13:00, Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 17 July 2014 12:57, Andreas Nilsson <andrnils@gmail.com> wrote:
>>=20
>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Hi!
>>>=20
>>> 3) The binary packages need to work out of the box
>>> 4) .. which means, when you do things like pkg install apache, it
>>> can't just be installed and not be enabled, because that's a bit of =
>>> problem;
>>=20
>> I disagree on this. For network services on linux ( apart from ssh ), =
I want
>> that started very seldom. But I do want the package installed so that =
when I
>> need it, it is there. Having it autostart as part of being installed =
is
>> breaking KISS and in some way unix philosophy: I asked for something =
to be
>> installed, not installed and autostarted.
>=20
> That's cool. We can disagree on that. But the fact that you have to
> edit a file to enable things and hope you get the right start entry in
> /etc/rc.conf or /usr/local/etc/rc.conf, or wherever you put it is, is
> a pain.

In the context of the email thread, no one in their sane mind will =
configure Amazon/Heroku/etc. VMs manually.  They will use =
ansible/puppet/chef/etc. to install packages and to start services after =
they are installed and configured. =20

I honestly don't see what the big deal is.  Most of the time you will =
need to configure your apache server before you can start it. =20

--
Rui Paulo