Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:54:18 -0500
From:      Philippe Vachon <phirkel@sympatico.ca>
To:        "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SoundBlaster 16 PnP ISA Card on 5.1

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:

> Philippe Vachon wrote:
>
>> Hey.
>> I guess I was trying my best to avoid having to recompile the Kernel,
>> and stick with the stock kernel in 5.1. Are there any alternatives to
>> recompiling?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Phil V.
>>
>> Jorn Argelo wrote:
>>
>>> Do you have the following kernel options compiled in your kernel?
>>>
>>> device          pcm
>>> device          sbc
>>>
>>> I believe you don't need a soundblaster kernel module then, but I am
>>> not sure.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Jorn

> There is a *long* list of loadable modules in
> /boot/kernel/ ... check out the ones that have
> snd* in the title.
>
> Then, $man kldload.....
>
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Kinsey
> DaleCo, S.P.

Thanks for the advice -- I've already checked there, as per the
instructions in the handbook. That's why I have the line
snd_sb16_load="YES"
in my loader.conf, as per the directions in the handbook, and told to me
by many on the #freebsd channel on freenode.

I do get sound playing, however, the problem is, wherenever I do get
sound playing, the time is compressed -- it plays 10 times (or even
more) faster than it should be.

It's annoying, I guess, because I easily enough was able to get OSS to
work with Linux kernel 2.4.x and ALSA in the 2.6.x kernel on this
computer, but I still cannot for the life of me get the FreeBSD kernel
to play audio on this computer. :(

Thanks,
Phil