Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 22:33:32 -0700
From:      Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP beeping

I sent a message about this to -stable last week, but didn't get any
input that resulted in a solution to this problem so...

-stable for the last week or more (I did a make world last week for
the first time in over a month) beeps on and off when SMP is enabled.
The beeping appears to be timed with very short stalls of the system;
that is, when moving the mouse across the screen it stops at what
seems to be that start of each beep.  The beeps are not consistent
in length, but the tone does not change.  If I boot a kernel with
the exact same config only with SMP disabled it does not beep, and
mouse cursor movement is fluid.

The machine is a dual 1Ghz PIII with 1G memory.  As I have no clue
about how to debug this I would appreciate any hints at all.  The
machine had been running fine for about six months so I do not "think"
it is hardware.

--
Chad David        davidc@acns.ab.ca
ACNS Inc.         Calgary, Alberta Canada