Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 15:07:47 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hang problem with spamass-milter...

In the last episode (Jul 08), Pete Carah said:
> I have spamass-milter compiled and running in a fresh 4.6-stable box
> (built last week).  If two mail messages arrive "close enough" in
> time, spamc hangs hard (needs kill -9 to stop it) in pipe-read state
> with spamass-milter in pipe-read also.  I have a suspicion about read
> acting non-blocking in the pipe case; looking through the
> pthread_read.c source, as long as EWOULDBLOCK or EAGAIN work right
> things shouldn't act like this.

You sure this is the trigger, and not an email over 250k?  An unpatched
spamass-milter will definitely hang on any email that spamc decides is
too big to process (250k default).  There are patches at
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/spamass-milt/ that fix this problem
and add some more functionality ( see patches 349, 351, 354, 381, 385 ).
Most of the patches require a CVS checkout, though, which is probably
why the port doesn't include them.

> spamass-milter's configure does not make the right choices for freebsd;
> I presume the port fixes this (I did so myself, adding _THREAD_SAFE and
> -pthread).  The C++ library may or may not be thread-safe?

patch 349 fixes this

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com