Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2003 15:00:52 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@psknet.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Maximum recommended user limits on mail server

Well said Chuck, but I don't know if I agree with the 50 hour vs. 50
minute argument.  Anyone who has 2 days of downtime per year needs to
find a new line of work.  I won't argue, however, that downtime on a
properly configured Sun would be a fraction of a properly configured
i386 box (I'm not too familiar with sun, but isn't there a model with
hot-swap everything, including processor modules?).

My current storage solution (FreeBSD 4-STABLE on a Celeron 600, 512MB,
RAID5 [amr 466, 16MB, LVD, 40Mbit/s, SCA]) has seen less than 5 hours of
downtime in the last 30 months.  My SMTP/AV host has seen less than 2
hours of downtime in the last 18 months.  Nearly all of that downtime
was planned, and occurred in the wee hours of the morning.

Personally, I can't see needing a Sun for quite some time.  I know that
my current solution would handle at least 20k accounts without much
issue at all.  The only concern I currently have, is that the hardware
is coming up on 3 years old and should probably be replaced sooner than
later.

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks