Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 04:54:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how do you turn on / install drivers? (Xircom PC-Card Ethernet)

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, jesse reynolds wrote:

> At 5:25 PM -0700 17/10/1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> > > The kernel conf file in FreeBSD is equivalent to the .config file in
> > > Redhat. The build of a kernel reads in to build a monolithic kernel.
> >
> >The kernel.conf file should be either in / or /boot afaik,
> >you want to remove the "di <driver_name>" lines for the drivers you
> >want to become re-enabled.
>
> Right. Does di=disable? Hmmm. I see that xe is not in this file.
>
> According to the XE driver readme, I should add the following lines
> to kernel.conf:
>
> controller      card0
> device          pcic0   at card?
> device          pcic1   at card?
> device          xe0     at isa? port? net irq ?
>
> after copying some c files into /sys/i386/isa and recompiling the
> kernel... So, doesn't that mean I can't simply download a kld, put it
> in the right place, and reboot?
>
> ie, am I going to have to recompile my kernel?

You're getting things mixed up a bit, but it's understandable.

/book/kernel.conf is read by the kernel/loader and turns on/off
devices in the kernel that are >>compiled in<<, you can't
'en' (enable) a device that isn't compiled in, although it may
be possible to load the kld if one exists.

If you kernel doesn't have the device compiled in you'll need to
recompile or load a kld.

To see if the device is compiled in but possibly disabled have a
look in /var/run/dmesg.boot, it should show you what the kernel
trys to do with device drivers at bootup.

hope this helps,
-Alfred