Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 13:47:46 +0100 (CET)
From:      A.Leidinger@WJPServer.CS.Uni-SB.de
To:        archie@whistle.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "man" reads /etc/rc.conf?

On  9 Nov, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> A.Leidinger@WJPServer.CS.Uni-SB.de writes:
>> (101) netchild@ttyp2 > man -k adadadad
>> cat: /etc/isdn/connect.parameters: Permission denied
>> adadadad: nothing appropriate
>>
>> (102) netchild@ttyp2 > grep cat /etc/rc.conf.local
>> spppconfig_isp0="`cat /etc/isdn/connect.parameters`"
>>
>> Is this just my system or is man really reading rc.conf(.local)?
>
> ktrace(1) would tell for sure..

/usr/bin/apropos contains:
---snip---
# If possible check global system configuration file for additional
# man locales installed
if [ -r /etc/defaults/rc.conf ] ; then
        . /etc/defaults/rc.conf
elif [ -r /etc/rc.conf ] ; then
        . /etc/rc.conf
fi
---snip---

and /etc/defaults/rc.conf:
---snip---
man_locales="NO"        # space separated list of man locales (or NO)
---snip---

Do we have to live with this or is it subject to change (it gives me a
bad taste to have rc.conf sourced everytime apropos is used)? What about
making it an environment variable (just set it in login.conf) or
enhancing /etc/manpath.config (BTW: everithing is named *.conf except
manpath.config)?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
               I believe the technical term is "Oops!"

http://netchild.home.pages.de  A.Leidinger+Home @ WJPServer.CS.Uni-SB.de
  Key fingerprint = 7423 F3E6 3A7E B334 A9CC  B10A 1F5F 130A A638 6E7E