Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:31:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      root@deadline.snafu.de (Andreas S. Wetzel)
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP problem

Hi!
---

I today installed my new IBM DCAS 34330 disk drive, and now I seem to
have a SMP related problem:

SMP kernel boots until the message:

APIC_IO: routing 8254 via 8259 on pin 0

Then it gets a fatal trap 9
This happens mostly all the time with SMP kernel, although sometimes
booting succeeds and everything is fine when it is once up and running.

UP kernel seems to work fine and does not show up an equal behaviour.

My last update of /usr/src/sys was from the date you stated a good time to
update again last week or so.

Not quite sure if this matters, but I have installed two slices on the IBM
disk, the first one is a 630 Mb Windows NT partition, and the other one
is completely for FreeBSD. I boot FreeBSD via the Windows NT bootloader,
which I have used before on an IDE hd to boot FreeBSD off sd0. I haven't
been quite sure if the FreeBSD slice must be within the first ~500 Mb
of the disk to be bootable, but since it loads the kernel and boots with
UP kernel just fine, I do not think that this is a problem related to the
disk partitioning.

Thankful for any advice.

Regards, Mickey

--