Date:      Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:26:55 -0600
From:      backdoc <freebsd01@usmstudent.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HD problems after power outage

Ahhhh!!!!  Slow down there, Fast Eddie :).  I got it working!!!

Basically, I repeated this process about 10 times:

o boot -s
o fsck /dev/da1s1e (which failed every time)
o reboot
o ran adaptec utility
o repeat

Finally, I tried:

o boot -s
o fsck -p  (bingo!!)
o mount -u /
o mount -a

Then, I did "mount" to see what was mounted.  Everything was mounted.
Life is good again.

I didn't completely give up because I was able to mount the drive with
errors and see the contents.  I had given up hope of salvaging the
drive, but not of recovering the data[1].  Perseverence paid off.

The dumb part in all of this was that my freebsd-questions subscriber
address is hosted on the FreeBSD box that was down.  So, I couldn't get
replies to my request for help until I had already gotten my box back up.

Thanks for your attempt to help me.  I do appreciate it.

Darren

[1] No.  I don't have a backups.  I guess I like living on the edge :).