Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 03:15:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Larry <pts@EEngineer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation requirements re: Drive C?

Larry wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> I find no information that says FreeBSD can be loaded to a drive other than
> C like Linux can do (dual boot capability).

I believe there is a mention of this in the install documentation on the
CD or FTP site.

> Can BSD be loaded to my dedicated drive E instead of C ?  Will I be able to
> keep my win98 platform as well (if you can prove I don't need it, I'll be
> glad to get rid of it)

Yes, although BSD (and any UNIX/Linux variant out there that I'm aware
of) doesn't follow the DOS convention of drive lettering (C, D, E,
...).  The question to ask here is, is drive "E" a physical disk located
in your machine, or is it merely another partition on a large disk?

In either case, the answer is "yes, you can", but the proceduce changes in
a few subtle ways depending on which situation you're in.

> By the way, I am extremely impressed that I actually received a reply to my
> last question within the hour, and it is midnight here.  If this is any
> indication of the BSD community, I'll be in excellent company.

Some of us sleep.  Some of us dont.  Some of us just keep weird
hours.  Some of us live on the other side of the world.

> Thank you,
> Larry Weinberg, Owner / Engineer
> 541-582-6436
> PTS (Precision Tracking Systems) Electronics
> Our Website:	http://www.EEngineer.com
> Email: pts@EEngineer.com

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts
  Phone: +1 (306) 664-1161

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2