Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 00:27:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp>
Cc:        jdp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp>, Nik Clayton <nclayton@lehman.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: Resolution: FDP reorganisation

On 25-Jun-99 Motoyuki Konno wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> wrote:
>> Not to jump in the middle of an argument, but I should note that Nik
>> has presented a number of reasonable points in his message and simply
>> dismissing them all with a single-line reply of this nature does not,
>> I believe, do the poster credit.  A more adequate rebuttal is called
>> for.
>
> OK, I'll explain more.
>
> A.  Why 'ja' is better than 'ja.*'
> ----------------------------------

No offense, but your arguments apply to a specific case, i.e. "ja", and Nik is
trying to setup a generic structure that will be easily extensible and
consistent.  That is why "en" is changing to "en_US.iso-8859-1" or something
similar.  We understand that it's just bit flipping to do JIS -> SJIS -> EUC,
but please understand that Nik is proposing a system that is bigger than the
doc/ja tree.  It is the doc/ tree.  Also, the end user will still have
/usr/share/man/ja and /usr/share/doc/ja.. this is only for the CVS repository.
Please try to see the big picture here instead of just looking at the "ja"
stuff.  Everyone else has to adjust to this change, too.

> Nik wrote:
>> That does not preclude a Japanese admin from wanting to install docs in the
>> SJIS encoding.  They might want to install these docs *instead of* the
>> eucJP docs, or they might want to install these docs *as well as* the eucJP
>> docs.
>
> Because most (almost all) of Japanese utility can handle EUC, SJIS
> and JIS at the same time,  your idea is not true.
> Japanese admin *never* want to install docs in SJIS encoding as well
> as the docs in EUC.  It is only a waste of disk space!!

That's why it is optional, and that's why you have links and intelligent
programs that can convert on the fly, which we apparently already have in the
ports, correct?  But we need to integrate all of that into a clean, coherent,
consistent system.  This is not just Nik trying to making everyone's life
miserable.

> B.  Why Japanese doc team do not want 'ja' -> 'ja_JP.EUC'
>
> One reason is that the cost of change is quite large.
> 'ja_JP.EUC' -> 'ja' change was *only* one year ago.  Japanese doc
> team and ports team paid the cost.  We agreed the change because
> it is reasonable (as I explained above).

It's only changing in the CVS repo, *NOT* in userland, so the only cost of
change is "cvs update -dP".

> I cannot understand why we (FreeBSD doc team) have to move the
> doc location again.

So that we never have to move it again. :)

> Another reason is that the "encoding system" is not essential
> in Japanese document (as I explained above).

But it is in other places, and for a generic, extensible system you use the
lowest common denominator instead of a collection of special hacks.

> Motoyuki Konno                  mkonno@res.yamanashi-med.ac.jp   (Univ)
>                                 motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp         (Home)
>                                 motoyuki@FreeBSD.ORG  (FreeBSD Project)
> Yamanashi Medical University    http://www.freebsd.org/~motoyuki/ (WWW)