Date:      Sat, 3 Nov 2001 00:40:39 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SMP kernel with 1 processor....

	No, that'll set it up as SMP, but I don't think you want to do that.  I'm
not aware of the hazards of doing such, but I don't think it's a "best
practice".

	Also, how long is it going to take to install a second processor and do a
kernel recompile?  You've gotta take the machine fully off-line and powered
down to add the second proc (unless you're running hardware that allows hot
swap of processors, which would be REALLY cool)...

	And even then, you could compile the SMP kernel and leave it sitting on the
machine, run it on a single proc kernel, and switch it over once you've got
the second processor in.

--- Andy