Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:39:44 -0700
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kldxref broken, maybe?

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 08:01:20AM +0200, Mark Santcroos wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 06:22:03PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > root[265] make installkernel
> > ===> 3dfx
> > install -C -c -o root -g wheel -m 555   3dfx.ko /boot/kernel/
> > kldxref /boot/kernel
> > kldxref:No such file or directory
> > *** Error code 1 (ignored)
>
> kldxref is part of world since 2001/09/10 18:13:15 PDT.
> You probably haven't rebuild your world since then.
> This is a 'soft-error' and will be gone after your next install of world.

Mark,

As Ruslan pointed out, the build/install process should
use a version of kldxref under ${OBJDIR}, which is built
during the bootstrap phase.  He said kldxref produces a
MD binary format, so cross builds won't work.  I'm not
familiar with the output of kldxref, and hence can't
comment on this.

I'll also note that src/UPDATING doesn't contain a item
discussing the addition of kldxref and the possible errors
during an installworld.

--
Steve