Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:57:39 -0500
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        FreeBSD ports <FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: INDEX-5 is deleted then reconstructed by "make index"

Kent,

[snip large amount of unnecessary quoted text]

> Wait till a change like the last upgrade to gettext comes along and you have
> to rebuild all of the ports that use it.

I don't have to wait. I've done it with gettext last time around and other
changes with similar effect since way back.

> He will have to rebuild each of them  manually. You can use portupgrade
> recursively on gettext and wait for it to  finish.

True, portupgrade really does do this awkward job automagically, as long
as the ports' dependencies are all correct. I've found this to be a little
hit-and-miss. I've scripted a little tool for finding packages linked to
missing .so libs, called "missinglibs". Simply run as "missinglibs libfoo"
or "missinglibs libfoo.so.4".

----8<----
#!/bin/sh
# (c) 2001 Andrew J. Caines

lib=${1:-libm}
tmp=/tmp/.$$.tmp ; rm -f $tmp 2>&-

echo -e "\nLooking for files linked to $lib...\n"

find /usr/local/bin /usr/local/lib /usr/X11R6/bin /usr/X11R6/lib -type f \
     \( -perm +111 -o -name '*.so*' \) |
  while read file
  do
    if ( ldd $file 2>&- | fgrep -q $lib )
    then
      echo $file
      pkg_info -W $file | awk '{print $NF}' >> $tmp
    fi
  done

echo -e "\nPackages with files linked to $lib...\n"

sort -u $tmp
rm $tmp

-Andrew-
| -Andrew J. Caines-   Unix Systems Engineer   A.J.Caines@halplant.com  |
| "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary |
|  safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin, 1759 |