Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 12:06:29 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        Peter Lai <PeterL@resnet.uconn.edu>
Cc:        "'Y u r i '" <ure@home.com>, "'questions@freebsd.org '" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Tyr'd with all this pronunciation thread

Well the REAL culprit for the spelling and general oddness
of English is the French !
English was just trundling along as a highly inflected
typical germanic language until the Normans invaded
britain in 1066 and introduced French as the official
language.
This confused everybody.
Even Shakespeare was a bit baffled.
He is famous for spelling the same word sometimes in
3 or 4 different ways on the same page :)

Anyway. It's the only international language we have, so
you are stuck with it my friends.

I blame it on Mickey Mouse.

Auf wiederhoren..

Cliff