Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:29:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        donxc@verizonmail.com
Subject:   Re: freebsd ficl extra-words

In article <20020820094136.31418.qmail@verizonmail.com>,
Donald Creel <donxc@verizonmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to use some of the FreeBSD "extra words" in loader,
> in particular fopen, fload, fread. I do not understand how to get
> the file descriptor fd to pass to fload, fread, fclose.  I am also
> having trouble getting addr to pass to fopen.  I have tried passing
> some random numbers for fd, len, and addr but only get error message
> "stack underflow". Any help will be appreciated.

It sounds like you might need to read a forth tutorial.  They're easy
to find on the web.  All values are passed via the stack, and it's
important to understand what each word expects to find on the stack
and what it will leave there.

Also, there are some examples in /usr/share/examples/bootforth.  In
particular see "boot.4th" in that directory, which shows how to load
a file and interpret its contents:

    s" /boot/frames.4th" fopen dup fload fclose

John Polstra (definitely _not_ a forth expert)
--
  John Polstra