Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 09:43:05 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        James B Amy <jimamy@io.org>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD Questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD CD Installation

James B Amy wrote:

> Gary,
>
>> My questions now are:
>> wd0:    HD master
>                 HD slave
>> wd1:    CD master
>> Does this work anyone? (not revelant to original question)
>
> Glad you asked.  It is relevant because this is the setup I
> currently have and would like to be able to use!

Ok, From your original message I don't remember mention of a
second HD.
But yes I would think this would be the optimal setup!

And you have tried this and it dosn't work?? Bummer!

>> Or MUST it be
>> wd0:	HD master
>>	CD slave
>> wd1:	HD master
>> (Not revelant to original question)
>
> This is a possible reconfiguration for me however, I was under
> the impression that having an ATAPI device connected to the
> same IDE channel as a HD affected the performance of the HD.
> Apparently, the HD is forced to wait for CD-ROM commands to
> complete and vice versa, thus slowing things down.
> It is always recommended that a CD-ROM drive be connected to a
> secondary IDE channel, while the primary channel be used by the HDs.

Yes, I have heard this as well, If it's fact or fiction I don't
know.
I'm not a unix guru, In dos I find no difference!
I have run comparision<sp?> tests both ways on the same machine.
(486DX2-66 16megs, Maxtor 7540, NEC MultiSpin 4V IDE)
Testing with a suite of different analyzers. All produced the
same results in either configuration.
So if in fact a CD on the same interface slows it down I have yet
to see PHYSICAL PROOF!
Not to say it's not true though, Maybe it is!

>> I am not sure but I belive I read here in -questions that as long
>> as you do actually have a slave on wd0 that a ATAPI cd will work
>> on wd1 as master. Am I wrong?? (Not revelant to original question)
>>
> Again, very relevant to my situation and I hope it does work! But
> that is not what the installation manual implies. Apparently the
> CD-ROM must be configured as slave, therefore I either have to
> put the CD-ROM on the primary channel along with one of my HDs
> or, I have to connect another IDE device to my secondary channel
> as master.  Either way, performance is affected.
>
> Is FreeBSD working on this CD-ROM master/slave problem?

I would imagine so and that we will find out for sure within the
next few days/weeks when 2.1.5r is out.
But my guess is that it is indeed solved with the way the FreeBSD
team tackles such things. :)
They would be the ones to ask this though.

If in fact the CD _MUST_ be configured as slave then you are right
you have two choices!

wd0:	HD master
	CD slave
wd1:	HD master

or Buy (or pull one from the junk pile) another IDE HD and:

wd0:	HD master
	HD slave
wd1:	HD master
	CD slave

Yes, This would be an irritating situation, Fortunally I run SCSI
But I do sell IDE's to my customers! And I usually do use the
secondary IDE interface provided with the CD for Ease/Speed of
installation. :)

BTW, I blew -support out of the Cc field, They don't need the flood!

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848