Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 02:44:23 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
To:        jamesn@iadfw.net (James Nuckolls)
Cc:        helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE, current@FreeBSD.ORG, jamesn@iadfw.net
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/libexec/telnetd telnetd.c

> [I moved this to current, where it's closer to being on topic...]

> >> `telnet -8' causes telnetd to send "DO BINARY".
> >
> >Right. And it works with telnetd 1.12.
> >
> >But still: telnetd should start negotiating the 8 bit data path as
> >it did before revision 1.12. I hate to lose this feature in favour
> >of a workaround for a deficiency in Microsoft's telnet.
>
> Sounds like a re-read of both the commit message AND both PRs are
> in order:
>
> PR:           bin/771 and bin/1037 are resolved by this change This
>  change changes the default handling of linemode so that older and/or
>  stupider telnet clients can still get wakeup characters like <ESC>
>  and <CTRL>D to work correctly multiple times on the same line, as
>  in csh "set filec" operations.   It also causes CR and LF characters
>  to be read by apps in certain terminal modes consistently, as
>  opposed to returning CR sometimes and LF sometimes, which broke
>  existing apps.  The change was shown to fix the problem demonstrated
>  in the FreeBSD telnet client, along with the telnet client in
>  Solaris, SCO, Windows '95 & NT, DEC OSF, NCSA, and others.

And introduced a new problem.  As far as I am concerned, this cure
is worse than the disease.

[...]
> [I'll spare you the PRs... I'm sure you know where to find them]

I did find them, and concluded that there was nothing to be fixed.
(I admit, the PRs are confusing me ...)

> Notice the fragment "[the] change was shown to fix the problem
> demonstrated in the FreeBSD telnet client..."  I'm not sure, but
> I don't think there's much Microsoft code in the FreeBSD telnet
> client ;>.

I was refering to the chatty comment in telnetd.c preceding the bogus
"linemode=1;" (style!) initialization, which was introduced because
"some clients (like usofts) don't have the mode character command
anyway".

> I'm sure there's a much better fix, as Frank admits in the PRs.

As long as this is not found, I suggest to back out this commit.

Wolfgang