Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 02:32:34 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, plm@xs4all.nl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/ppp command.c datalink.c datalink.h defs.h vars.c vars.h

On Wed, Feb 18, 1998 at 01:08:30AM +0000, Brian Somers wrote:
> At the moment, ppp has four queues.  Two IP queues and two modem
> queues.  The IP queues are `interactive' and `normal', and the modem
> queues are `fast' and `normal'.  LCP and `interactive IP' traffic
> goes into the `fast' modem queue.  `fast' data gets delivered first.
>
> Wouldn't this be best approached by just having a dynamic MTU - one
> that varies based on the number of packets in the interactive queue ?

The basic idea is sound, but it's the wrong variation parameter.  You should
vary it based on what number of packets there has been in the interactive
queue recently - what is there right now isn't a good enough heuristic.  An
OK heuristic might e.g. be
 n_heuristic = C*n_heuristic + length_of_interactive_queue*(1-C)
re-evaluated for every packet sent out, with C a constant < 1.

I'd guess C should be somewhere between 0.9 and 0.99 to get both crispy feel
while working interactively and quick transfers when not working
interactively anymore, but this depend a bit on how much fragmenetation is
done.  The basic point is that you keep a logithmic, never-disappearing
memory of all prior events.

Eivind.