Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 21:57:56 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Michael VanLoon <MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Lance Costanzo <lance@costanzo.net>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ECC RAM useless with FreeBSD?

On Tue, Dec 28, 1999 at 20:54:46 -0800, Michael VanLoon wrote:
> [...]

I've never had a memory problem (and I've had a number of memory problems)
that wasn't detected with simple parity.  Maybe I'm just lucky.

If you have a slightly less modern processor (like a Pentium Pro), I think
the performance loss can be around 10% or so.  Unfortunately I'm not in a
position at the moment to do the dd test above, so I can't say for sure,
only what I remember.

> And, does that hardly discernable performance loss make up for the time you
> lose when your machine crashes, or you have to track down some malfunction
> that is simply a flipped bit?

I suppose I've never had a 2-bit error.

Another way to look at it is that I'd rather be notified of memory
problems, so that I can then turn on ECC to work around them, than have ECC
silently work around the problem.

If I had faster machines, and if we had some method of notifying the user
when there are bad bits that get ECC corrected, I probably would run with
ECC turned on.  As it stands, though, you won't know about a 1-bit memory
problem if you turn ECC on.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry