Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2001 11:27:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        cliff@raggedclown.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP, again .. *sigh*

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>Ok, mmm, I grit my persistence teeth here.
>I have an odd problem with PPP for my Dial on Demand connection.
>I had it all setup running tickety boo on a 4.0 box.
>I then moved it for compelling reasons to a 4.2 box.
>Same settings etc, same ppp.conf (different serial port)
>same kernel options as applicable, same everything.
>Now I have this odd problem. When I dial in, a connection is made
>but then there is a delay of maybe 2 minutes before

Any "mysterious network delays of about two minutes" are
highly likely to be DNS problems.  Check /etc/resolv.conf.

To start diagnosing the problem ping the other end of your ppp
connection, by IP (the one shown after "-->" in the output from
"ifconfig tun0", if you are running ppp(8))

If that fails, then something is wrong with your ppp connection - post
logs. Also check that "netstat -rn" lists your PPP peer as default
gateway.

If that works, try pinging someting else by IP, e.g. www.freebsd.org
(216.136.204.21). If that works too, then it is definitely a DNS
problem.

   $.02,
   /Mikko

--