Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:26:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggested change to BSD sockets API

One common problem I run into is that of cached state.

In particular, if I have a dial-on-demand device that uses
a dynamic IP address assignment negotiated with the remote
side of the link, then all of my servers currently bound
and listening for incoming connections have to be clobbered
over the head for them to notice the IP address change.

It seems to me that this could be better handled.

The problem appears to be cached state information (I have
been meaning to write a white paper on "cached state considered
harmful").

For example, an inetd, a DNS server, or a sendmail bound to a
network address on an interface must be rebound when the IP
address changes.

I'd like to suggest that a new socket binding type be used; one
that binds not to an IP addres, but to an interface.

The changes to support this don't seem that difficult; what do
others think about this?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---