Date:      Wed, 1 Jun 2011 18:26:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mohan Ramanujan <mohan@nber.org>
Subject:   Can FreeBSD 8.2 install on an EFI motherboard?

I have an ASUS P8P67 motherboard, and the install programs in 8.1 and 8.2
are unable to write files to the disks, so the install fails after
choosing the what to install. Partitioning and newfs went fine, however.
Could this be because the ASUS MB uses EFI instead of a BIOS? (It does).

I have installed a score of different FreeBSD systems on a score of
different motherboards, and never had a compatibility issue, but I have
found some posts saying that special procedures are required to install on
an EFI motherboard. They were sufficiently complex that I would probably
just get another motherboard.

Daniel Feenberg
feenberg@nber.org