Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 2020 16:51:11 -0400
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Deprecating ftpd in the FreeBSD base system?

--0EY4jvGxUUhIi5W87Lu9gBXkup5SPSPXi
From: Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-current@freebsd.org

--nUXk1Sqxd1vp4kjJDFvQPgmrT3yBMDys3

On 2020-09-16 13:34, Ed Maste wrote:
> FTP is (becoming?) a legacy protocol, and I think it may be time to
> remove the ftp server from the FreeBSD base system - with the recent
> security advisory for ftpd serving as a reminder.
>=20
> I've proposed adding a deprecation notice to the man page in
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26447 to start this off. There are a
> number of ftp servers in ports, and if we're going to remove the base
> system one we can create a port for it first, as well.
>=20
> Any comments or concerns, please follow up in the code review or in ema=
il here.
rg"
>=20

Is the version we have in base unique? That is to say, does it need to
be preserved somehow.

I know it is based on on the original 4.2BSD ftpd, but did we pull in
code from anywhere else at some point?

Or maybe a better question is: Which ftpd is the most similar, and would
allow people to migrate most easily (tnftpd from netbsd?)

--=20
Allan Jude