Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:30:12 +0000
From:      Jason Henson <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xmms FreeBSD and buzzing or skipping sound

On 01/21/05 07:29:43, Gr=E9gory Nou wrote:
> Jason Henson a =E9crit :
>=20
>> On 01/20/05 20:57:12, Derek wrote:
>>=20
>>> Collin McClendon wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Did you ever find a solution to this Collin?
>>>=20
>>> I've got a 5.3-STABLE SMP machine, with a promise RAID controller,
>>> RAID1, with snd_emu10k1.ko, and I get the same results...  Re-=20
>>> nicing
>>> xmms doesn't help either...
>>>=20
>>> Cheers,
>>> Derek
>>>
>>=20
>> Could this be a problem of resource hoging on the pci bus?  Are the  =20
>> devices on different irqs?
>>=20
>> I just tried it without problem, but it was a small file.  I have a  =20
>> single 2ghz athlon with builtin audio and a single ide drive.
>=20
> I have this problem too.
> It happens with any mp3 player or listening to an icecast stream, but =20
> not with mplayer when looking at a divx. I looked at the irqs, and =20
> have uhci2 and my pcm0 on the same irq. However, this problems occurs =20
> only after 3 or 4 hours of uptime, generally.
> Should I try to change my irqs ? and if positive, how do I do this ? =20
> in the bios ? (note : I have also uhci1 on the same irq than vr0, and =20
> it makes my computer crash at the end of the shutdown, when using the =20
> GDM to shutdown)

Something like hw.acpi.pci.link.0.6.0.irq=3D16           #irq pcm in /=20
boot/loader.conf.  Maybe you could also try changing the pci clock, by =20
this I mean the number of tics or cycles a device can control the bus.  =20
I have mine set to 96.  A number between 96-128 usaully increases =20
performance of some pci devices on bench marks I have.  You should =20
search for some of them to see if there is a good setting for your pc.