Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 1999 09:36:53 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guess we've lost the server market too...?

On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 05:00:16PM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> Alas, as the American political system shows, the public actually
> resists having more than two choices. It's "one, two, too many."

Wrong.  The US political system is fu^H^Hrigged from the start to
create two parties.  This is the effect of having a forced choice of
one representative from each area; "winner takes all".  It also forces
the two parties to be very much like each other.  I've always believed
that this was a deliberate choice by the founding fathers, choosing
stability over having the political system match what the people
actually believe.

If you want an example of how you get a lot of parties, look at
Denmark.  (At this point I left my computer with the window open and
hoped for some dane to jump in and finish off my mail by describing
the danish voting system, but it didn't happen).

Since nobody present seems able to describe the danish voting system
in anything resembling reasonable detail and accuracy, I'll go on to
describe the norwegian one, which resembles it and which I'm more
familiar with.

The country is divided into a number of counties.  When there is a
national election, the representatives are choosen by county - with
each county sending about 12 (?) representatives (the actual number is
somewhat related to the number of people in the county) to the
equvalent of congress.  These representatives are choosen according to
the number of votes they got inside the county; they do NOT come after
a vote in a smaller area.  In addition to this, we have something
called 'adjustment mandates'.  These are based on "vote overflow" in
the counties; they make up a total of about 10% of the mandates, I
think.  They will (by the laws of mathematics) tend to favour the
large parties, but this is a rather small advantage.

The result of the above system is a division similar to this (numbers
are from memory, so bear with me that they're not accurate):

Arbeiderpartiet            (~25%)
Fremskrittspartiet         (~19%)
Høyre                      (~16%)
Kristelig Folkeparti       (~13%)
Kystpartiet (1 representative)
Rød Valgallianse (1 or 2 representatives)
Senterpartiet              (~15%)
Sosialistisk Venstreparti  (~10%)
Venstre                     (~3%)

... with the governing power held by a coalition of Venstre, Kristelig
Folkeparti, and Senterpartiet.

The reason that Arbeiderpartiet isn't governing (either in minority or
in coalition with somebody else) is that they refused to take the
responsibility unless they got some certain minimum number of votes.

The reason Fremskrittspartiet (a populistic/liberal party, the one
that is most similar to the US parties) isn't in the governing
business is that nobody would cooperate with them.

Eivind.