Date:      Fri, 15 Apr 2011 23:11:05 +0800
From:      "Zhang Weiwu, Beijing" <zhangweiwu@realss.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sound card not recognized by freebsd 8.2 but mentioned in PC-BSD 8.2

Hello. I intend to use FreeBSD instead of PC-BSD. The sound card doesn't
work on FreeBSD 8.2. I tried to follow the manual and loaded all sound
card drivers

# kldload snd_driver

But no driver works:

# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 32bit 2009061500/i386)
Installed devices:

There is nothing after "installed devices". And there is nothing about
sound card mentioned in dmesg.

I had the impression non of the drivers recognizes the card, which is:

none1@pci0:0:4:0: class=0x040100 card=0x103b13bd chip=0x545510b9 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Acer Labs Incorporated (ALi/ULi)'
device = 'AC'97 Audio Controller (M1563M Southbridge)'
class = multimedia
subclass = audio

Search for the chip ID as keyword on google reveals in PC-BSD this
keyword is mentioned in their driver database
"/PCBSD/soundDetect/soundcards.xml"

source: http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/3018/pcbsd

Somehow this hints PC-BSD recognizes and can configure this sound card.

My question is, if PC-BSD could play using this sound card, a FreeBSD
method must not be too far away, right? Can I configure FreeBSD somehow
to let a driver recognize and make use of this sound card?

P. S. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll fall back to Windows instead of
PC-BSD because I intend to use this machine for playing around and
testing GNUStep including its multimedia. The computer has a hard-wired
8GB storage which is OK for the purpose, but not enough for PC-BSD.

--
我的博客:
http://zhangweiwu.ixiezi.com/