Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:20:17 -0600
From:      "Darryl Hoar" <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
To:        "'Robert Downes'" <nullentropy@lineone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Building new kernel help

I was following the handbook (/usr/share/doc).
There are two methods in 5.1-release of building
a kernel.

Method 1.
    The /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
    cd ../compile/MYKERNEL
    make depend
    make
    make install

Method 2.
    cd /usr/src
    make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
    make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

the handbook recommended method 1 if you had not
cvsup.  So, I did method 1.

The thing that's throwing me is in 5.1-release, it
brings up a character menu of choices when booting
(complete with ascii art of the mascot).  What option
do I choose so I can do:
boot kernel.old ?

thanks,
Darrl