Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:41:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.0 SCSI Tape Driver- Okay, Okay, you win....

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday, 16 November 1999 at  8:04:05 -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> >
> > Too many people have objected. I didn't make my case clearly enough,
> > but because enough people of have raised issues, the default won't
> > be changed.
>
> I think this is the correct decision in the short term.  In the longer
> term, we should continue to discuss the matter.

Yes, well, I was driven by the coming of 4.0.... My *original* plans for
4.0 was to do a complete rewrite of the tape driver using the HP sponsored
TAPEALERT initiative, but I've had only a fraction of the time available.

So, what with fixing some bugs, trying to make sure that subdevices come
back with latchable settings, that'll probably be it for tape in 4.0.

-matt