Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 20:08:17 -0700
From:      "Michael O'Henly" <michael@tenzo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Printer madness...

Hi...

I'm trying to set up printing with FreeBSD 4.2 and an HP LaserJet 4050
connected to the parallel port. I've been following the procedure in the
Handbook -- but I'm having some trouble...

Here's what I've done so far:

1.  Compiled a new kernel with these options:

# Parallel port
device		ppc0	at isa? irq 7
device		ppbus		# Parallel port bus (required)
device		lpt0		# Printer
device		plip		# TCP/IP over parallel
device		ppi		# Parallel port interface device
device		vpo		# Requires scbus and da

(As you can see, there are options enabled that I don't need. My approach so
far has been to get the basic services running, then go back and turn off the
things I don't need.)

2.  When I do 'dmesg | grep lpt' I get this:

lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

3.  I've done '/dev/MAKEDEV lpt0' and checked to make sure it worked:

# ls -asl /dev/lpt*
0 crw-------  1 root  wheel   16,   0 Apr 14 19:23 /dev/lpt0
0 crw-------  1 root  wheel   16,   1 Apr 12 15:05 /dev/lpt1
0 crw-------  1 root  wheel   16,   2 Apr 12 15:05 /dev/lpt2

4.  Tested communication to printer by printing a test Postscript file:

# cat testPrinter.ps > /dev/lpt0

No problems with this.

5.  Created the following /etc/printcap entry:

lp|hp4050|HP LaserJet 4050:\
	:sh:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
	:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:\
	:if=/usr/local/libexec/psif:\
	:df=/usr/local/libexec/psdf:\
	:tf=/usr/local/libexec/pstf:

FWIW, I've tested the following pared-down version as well (with identical
results):

lp:\
	:sh:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:\
	sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:

6.  Made a spooling directory and made it private to the print daemon:

# mkdir /var/spool/lpd/lp
# chmod 770 /var/spool/lpd/lp

7.  Installed and made executable some print filters. (Note that I've tested
without filter entries in /etc/printcap and had identical resutls.)

8.  Added to /etc/rc.conf:

lpd_enable="YES"

9.  Rebooted.

10. At this point, tests like "lptest 20 5 | lpr -Plp" and even just 'lpr'
result in 'lpr: lp: unknown printer '.

I'm stumped. Any advice?

Thanks.

M.