Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2017 15:56:35 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Paul Pathiakis <pathiaki2@yahoo.com>
To:        Alejandro Imass <aimass@yabarana.com>,  FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [OT] Why did "enterprise" crap seem to win? (re: Virtualization, Java, Microsoft, Outsourcing, etc.)...

Alejandro,
I have been asking myself the same question for almost 15 years.=C2=A0 Alth=
ough I didn't know about Theo's letter or anything subsequent, I have a pee=
r group of high-end contractors and senior sysadms.=C2=A0 Although most won=
't admit it, there's about 20 out of two hundred that are wondering about t=
he same thing.
Why create 100s of instances with the same OS/Config that all have to be pa=
tched when a hole is found versus UNIX that has a proper development model,=
 a proper job and resource scheduler that does all the 'sharing' for you?
Now, I will say one thing, virtualization is great.... for development.=C2=
=A0 Spinning up a few instances that act like a full machine to check on Pr=
oof of Concept and resource utilization and allows developers to have 'root=
' and trash it any way they want and I can give them another one without ha=
ving to rebuild an entire machine (full build automation or not), it's a bi=
g win.
However, regarding everything else you said, I agree.=C2=A0 As to how it ha=
ppened and why?=C2=A0 Two reasons:=C2=A0 stupidity and money.=C2=A0=C2=A0
The stupidity is people that don't truly understand things at a deep level =
(degree or no degree) that are involved in both development and operations.=
=C2=A0 This can be seen in those things that you state along with others.=
=C2=A0 However, with regards to Java, .NET, C++, you have a lot of people t=
hat were in academia that were being told OOP was the next big thing and JA=
VA was where it was going to happen.=C2=A0 Now, anyone who realized that C =
was the elegant tool that it was, a level 3 language regarding all of it's =
high level structures with the power of assembler (the ability to directly =
access memory addresses and contents of those addresses), saw JAVA and othe=
r OOP (object oriented programming) languages as being an uncultured resour=
ce pig that lacked a LOT of structures, functionality and power of C.=C2=A0=
 (IMHO)
So, how did the great unwashed get into this?=C2=A0 The thing known as MIS.=
=C2=A0 Business people who created the party line of 'buzzwords' that don't=
 understand tech.=C2=A0 They had always heard about 'JAVA' and rammed it do=
wn the developers throats.=C2=A0 People 20 years ago that 'heard' about JAV=
A in management positions are forcing people to program it in.
How does money play into other than Wall St playing tech companies that the=
y don't truly understand what they are doing or inventing?=C2=A0 Let's look=
 at MS, SUN, ORACLE, CISCO and what they've done to the industry.... CERTIF=
ICATIONS!=C2=A0 'Why yes.... I'm a total idiot that knows nothing about tec=
h but I can take a test.=C2=A0 My degree?=C2=A0 Oh... Advanced Basket Weavi=
ng.=C2=A0 I get to be a Network Admin now because I have a CCIE and make mo=
re than minimum wage?=C2=A0 Kewl=C2=A0 You don't care I don't have experien=
ce in tech?=C2=A0 Awesome.'
Let's take an example of something that was implemented about 10 years ago =
and whole industry has grown up around it yet, early in 2016 the creators o=
f it said it was dead as people didn't realize it was a philosophy that onl=
y the parts necessary should be applied to an existing environment to make =
it more nimble.... AGILE!!!!=C2=A0 =C2=A0There are still people screaming t=
hat you have to be Agile trained, Agile certified, etc.=C2=A0 Companies hav=
e spent billions on this and continue to do so.=C2=A0 Yet, circa April of 2=
016, the 13 creators of Agile stated it was DEAD.=C2=A0 Yet, companies are =
still running forward with it.....=C2=A0 Don't even get me started on DevOP=
S....=C2=A0 Oooo.... you have to understand Agile or you can't be a DevOPS =
engineer.=C2=A0 (I was at one of the most prestigious universities in the w=
orld who said I HAD to know AWS, GIT, and DevOPS.... well, with 25 years in=
 I said I could learn... One month later I knew all and had a good understa=
nding....=C2=A0 However, operational issues were everywhere.=C2=A0 I could =
predict what would fail, how and when after the second month.=C2=A0 I, fina=
lly, asked something that was bothering me of the 15=C2=A0 DevOPS people in=
 the group: "Who here has actually worked in Operations previously?"=C2=A0 =
That's right.=C2=A0 Not a single hand.=C2=A0 No one understood the reality =
of simple things like I/O bottlenecks.=C2=A0 They all had the mentality of =
'if I program it and it runs, then everything is wonderful'.
All of these processes I believe are created with the best of intentions by=
 people who see the one true problem:=C2=A0 untalented individuals who are =
insecure and refuse to improve themselves or their coding abilities.=C2=A0 =
The program they produce is the barest minimum in functionality for the req=
uirements, business management doesn't understand the required paradigms an=
d 'crap' gets passed along.=C2=A0 It hits operations (thrown over the wall)=
 it wasn't correctly tested, and it limps.=C2=A0 No one is held accountable=
 but the operations people are pissed and they're getting blamed.
This is the state of the industry as we know it now.=C2=A0 It's a sad state=
 of affairs.=C2=A0 I look forward to retiring so I can dedicate time to wha=
t I consider the one true piece of software beauty left in the world:=C2=A0=
 FreeBSD.=C2=A0 (and other BSDs)
I read "Cathedral and Bazaar" and considered it "Reality and Bizarre".=C2=
=A0 A 100 monkeys writing for a 100 years will NOT turn out the works of Sh=
akespeare... they turn out something with 100s of CVEs annually.
Here's the sad part, I am seeing all the senior people retire early and go =
fishing.=C2=A0 Some of these people have 10 years left but have done the ca=
lculation and consider the pain of having someone without a clue threaten t=
hem with their job, compensation or something else.=C2=A0 The world of virt=
ualization does not encourage troubleshooting, it encourages 'restart it'.=
=C2=A0 It encourages diminished effort from start to finish.
I also agree with your point on how much it costs to go to AWS and Azure.=
=C2=A0 In the space of a year, it's more than reasonable server that a comp=
any could build for $1000 and install iocage/jails etc and have an OS with =
only 20 CVEs annually.=C2=A0 Oooo... wait here's some FUD.... It's because =
it's not used by anyone that there's no bugs found... Yeah, talk to Apple, =
Sony, IronPort, Netflix, etc....
The end of my rant.....
P.