Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:43:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      bkyoung@falcon.cc.ukans.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DCHP in FBSD 3.4

Thank you for your response...many people have pointed out that my
e-mailer sucks...Microsoft...:-) [is this one better? (postilion in
RedHat linux)].  To refresh memories on the problem (in a nutshell): I
can't see the internet through my ISP.  I can see servers at my ISP,
but not anything on the internet.  This is precisely what I tried:

1) Noticed I couldn't FTP into ftp.freebsd.org.

2) using /stand/sysinstall I look at my ethernet configuration.  What
I've noticed is (and I don't know how (in)significant this is...) that
the information is totally different than my configuration in windows.
For example my IP address in Windows would be 24.124.43.189 [for one
whole week] {it would be the same if I was running linux}, BUT in
FreeBSD it's wacked...like: 10.201.xxx.xxx  ????????????.  The NetMask
is different, the default gateway is different...sometimes the Name
Server IP is the same - and I have no way of knowing if it's actually
talking to the DHCP server (I can ping it though).  This is at home.

3) At work, I can connect thru the DHCP server (in FreeBSD) to the
internet.  Everything works fine.  That proves it's not something wrong
with dhclient (which has been suggested to me).  There is obviously
something wrong with my configuration at home...but what?  I am using
IP addresses to ping things at my ISP.  The IP of my machine at work is
129.237.125.112 - which I can't ping from home through FreeBSD.  I also
try things like www.yahoo.com - which also doesn't work.

what specifically about the DNS configuration would cause this problem
& how can I correct it?

Brandon K Young
bkyoung@sunflower.com